In one of our previous posts we talked about post-processing automation using Adobe Lightroom presets and Photoshop actions. Let’s take a closer look at these methods one by one. This post will be dedicated to installing Lightroom presets that you have downloaded from another source.
There are two ways of installing presets. Instructions are very similar for MAC and Windows machines.
Method one – from within Lightroom Presets panel
- Firstly un-archive the downloaded folder (if archived), so you can see individual presets files
- Navigate to Develop module in Lightroom
- On the right hand side you will see the Presets panel – expand it
- Right-click anywhere within the panel
- In the drop-down list choose Import
- Navigate to the folder where you have your presets and choose one or multiple files, click Open
This is it – your presets are now imported and ready to use. As you can see there is an option of creating a new folder for the presets that you are importing if you wish to. Also you can organize them in Presets panel by moving around different folders and renaming if needed.
Method two – copying directly to the program folder
This method may be handier if you are importing a few folders with many presets in them.
- In the Lightroom top menu bar click Edit – Preferences (Windows) or Lightroom – Preferences (MAC)
- In the Preferences window click Presets tab on the top and then Show Lightroom Presets Folder
- In the opened folder click Lightroom, then Develop Presets
- Copy all your downloaded presets folders into this folder
- Restart Lightroom
- Once done, you’ll see all the folders and presets imported over to your Presets panel
We have prepared a collection of Lightroom presets for you to download and use absolutely for free. Subscribe to our newsletter on the top of the page and we will ship them to you in a split second.
In our upcoming posts we will talk about how to create and save your own presets as well as how to modify the existing ones. As always if you have any questions or feedback, feel free to comment below.